Thursday, May 24, 2007

Da Momo

Last week, those of us fortunate enough to live in the Myrtle Beach area survived another Harley Bike week. Ten days of motorcycles that made too much noise. I always hear how it's so great for the local economy, but I have to tell you the truth. I've lived here 18 years and have never made a buck from a biker. Many of the people I know can say the same. Who makes their money from bikers? Motels and restaurants, that's who. Since I'm not part of either industry, I don't feel obligated to be nice or grateful to these people.

And you know, I don't think it's my responsibility to "triple-check" my mirrors when I'm driving either. Screw that. If you don't want to get hit, quit going in and out of lanes at 60 mph.

All of this leads to the Memorial Day weekend, aka Black Biker weekend or "da Momo". Local hoteliers tell of getting reservations for "da momo" throughout the year. Boy, we're lucky!!

So again, I've never profited from these guys and gals either. But you can help. We at Hairy Carrot are looking for a suitable date for "Hug a Honky" day. Personally, I think the Tuesday after "da momo" is appropriate, while others think it should be before the bike rally. So we ask for your input. Let us know.

In the meantime, I'll be sipping on gin and juice, eating some fried chicken and waiting for the Grand Marshall of the festival, Don Imus, to help us come together as one big family.

No comments: