Friday, July 20, 2007

Are You Going To Eat That?

I'm finally back from my Mid-July sabbatical and I'm already looking forward to my end of July sabbatical. Beer is good for drinking on these hot summer days.

Speaking of ingesting delicious items, an article appeared in USA Today recently on the benefits of placentophagy. For those of you who don't know what the hell I'm talking about (and neither did I until I read the article), placentophagy is the act of eating the placenta after having a kid. Yeah, it's not veal cutlets, but being the open-minded kind of guy I am, I read the entire article to get all the sides of the story.

Evidently, animals have been dining on afterbirth for millenia, why I don't know. The new argument is that it reduces the effects of post partum depression. If Tom Cruise had known about this, he could have avoided looking like an (bigger) asshole on the Today show. "Matt, aliens didn't put us on this planet to eat our innards!"

The article went on to say that nowadays the placenta is freeze-dried, decaffeinated, emulsified and put into a convenient capsule form. Personally, I think "Placenta Tartar" would have been a hit at an upscale restaurant in New York or LA.

Anne Swanson, not of the frozen food fame, actually went to court to retrieve her placenta from the hospital where she gave birth. The staff felt that since there was blood involved, her afterbirth was a hazardous waste material, but since there was litigation pending, they put it in the freezer to await judgement. Remind me not to order anything thawed at the Sunrise Hospital cafeteria in Las Vegas. The judge said something to the effect of, "Just give it to her and leave me alone." Justice tastes great in a capsule form.

So, I guess this opens a whole new world for us. If you're feeling down, eat some placenta. Or, use it as a garnish when self-medicating. Yummy!!

No comments: